How often do you get an opportunity to build a world-class festival from the ground-up?
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a notable Canadian literary organization that operates and influences on a global scale, connecting authors and book lovers. Supported by a passionate and engaged board looking to do big things in a city that is rapidly becoming a top global destination; the Artistic Director of the Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) has a prime opportunity to re-invent the scope, scale and content of this established event.
Ideally, you’re coming from the literary ecosystem – possibly with a background in Publishing, Events and/or Digital. You are a passionate and entrepreneurial self-starter, who sees huge opportunity in the evolving content landscape. A literary impresario, with a “can-do” attitude, you know the right people, and you know how to build bridges and inspire communities to create a world-renowned event.
Leading the Toronto International Festival of Authors is a challenging and high-profile position requiring passion and strategy. The goal of the successful candidate will be to create programs and events with popular appeal and critical acclaim.
In providing creative leadership for TIFA, you will elevate the Festival’s global reach, expand and diversify audiences and programs, strengthen stakeholder relations, inspire a dynamic team, and ensure stability and success in all aspects of the organization while fulfilling its mission.
1) Expand Audiences
- Drive audience focus – engaging with diverse range of audiences from children to seniors and in between, including book clubs.
- Expand audience diversity and patron demographics.
- Build KPIs through measurable objectives and analytics.
- Increase overall attendance to both free and paid events.
- Grow net promoter score (NPS).
2) Cultivate Marketing, Communications and Awareness
- Heighten awareness of the Festival in Toronto and beyond through targeted marketing and PR strategies.
- Strengthen the marketing message – TIFA is for authors and readers.
- Implement measurable objectives.
- Develop an effective marketing plan.
- Extend media coverage including paid and earned media. Attract favourable mentions of the festival and its programming.
3) Building World-Class Programming
- Design multi-year programming goals.
- Attract more “Headline” authors to the Festival.
- Become the conversation focal point for various themes underpinning the Festival.
- Expand daytime programming.
- Implement “new” programming goals.
- Broaden favorable press coverage.