Lead the organization growing Canada’s Angel Investment community!
This is an opportunity to pilot the association that ties together the entire Canadian Angel Investing ecosystem. The position will play a key role in organizing, guiding and building upon this fast-growing Canadian investor class to help fund emerging Canadian technology and start-up companies.
As CEO of the National Angel Capital Organization you will take ownership over leading and guiding a member driven network which supports the entrepreneurial fabric that turns great ideas into great businesses. With over 3000 accredited angel investors across the country, and a network of more than 40 incubators and accelerators, NACO members are already assisting Canadian startups every day in every province. This assistance includes mentorship, advice, intelligence and other resources, many of which you’ll make available to the member’s fingertips.
You will take an active approach in the building and maintaining of the relationships within the member group, corporate and commercial partners and will serve as the face of the organization with the Federal and Provincial entities. A natural people person, you’ll be a master networker and connector. You’ll be savvy to the needs of the member community and will lead the team evolving NACO’s services. You’ll also lead the annual summit that has been the cornerstone annual community event for Angel Investors in Canada.
We are looking for an A-player to help take NACO to the next level. This could be your opportunity to do something special.
If you’re someone that gets excited about the Canadian angel investing community and see a field of untapped potential, this role is for you.
Scope of Responsibility
This is a multifaceted role in a growing organization. The CEO is responsible for all operational aspects of the organization, including its financial health and stability and managing relationships with its key constituent stakeholder groups, including members, government and the Board of Directors
Human Resources & Operations
• Support the Director of Operations in the development of human resource and operational strategies to ensure organizational stability and growth
• Ensure the Director of Operations is fully empowered to manage staff and contractor resources and has the resources required to execute on projects
• Ensure stability in the team by understanding and monitoring employee development in specific roles aligning career objectives with the objectives of the Organization.
• Secure long-term sustainable funding from Government partners aligned with funding support and program execution with Corporate Partners
• Secure funds to support specific projects in research, education and events
• Work with the Director of Operations and the Director of Finance to plan and oversee annual budgets and projections to ensure expenses are managed, revenues are secured, and financial objectives are met.
• Work with the Board of Directors and NACO team members to develop and continuously update the organizational strategy of NACO.
• Work with the team to execute approved strategies and track and report KPIs to relevant stakeholders
• Manage and adjudicate NACO’s involvement in special programs that impact members and other key stakeholders • Work with the Manager of Marketing and Communications to increase awareness in NACO’s Brand and role with key stakeholders • Work with team to build out value for incubator/accelerator community and solidify NACO’s as an industry association for those members
• An undergraduate degree is required; an M.B.A. or equivalent is desired
• A breadth of general management and business leadership experience (at the CEO level) in the public or private sector with direct interaction with a Board of Directors
• Experience with member-based organizations
• Experience in early stage venture &/or angel investing
• Exposure to, and appreciation for, public-sector decision-making processes with respect to funding and economic policy goals
• Proven experience as compelling ambassador for a brand or organization, including experience as an accomplished public speaker to large audiences
• Demonstrated ability to successfully pursue non-traditional partnerships and new business models