The City of Hamilton is seeking an innovative, forward-thinking Digital Leader to join their team at City Hall in the position of Chief Digital Officer (CDO). Reporting to the City Manager, this is a unique role that will be responsible for leading Digital Transformation across the City including the Smart City and Open Government programs. Working in partnership with City leadership, in support of Council, the CDO is focused on modernizing government strategically for the digital age.
Enabling a citizen-centred digital experience is a core priority for the city. Making services, information and data available on-line, in simple and easy to use formats for residents, businesses and staff is a foundational requirement. As such, the role is accountable for the City's Digital Channels (web/app), including roadmaps, standards, implementation planning and execution.
As the lead of the City’s Digital Office, the CDO is accountable for the establishment and implementation of the related City-wide strategies, roadmaps, standards, policies and plans to ensure success. They will work with all departments to strengthen and streamline the use of smart technology and digital tools to better manage resources and harness data to enable informed decision making city-wide.
The CDO will lead to the acquisition and delivery of a common set of platforms, approaches and standards. These combined tools enable the city to have a single view of what’s happening, adjust and respond to opportunities and challenges, moving from reactive to proactive.
Accountable for the delivery of Smart City/Digital Service Profile and being the lead for digital transformation in partnership with SLT and in support of Council priorities. This includes cross boundary responsibilities, with a city-wide lens as it relates to working with the programs to support service modernization, digital transformation and smart city planning and execution.
Supporting smart initiatives across the city and also serving as a central point of coordination and consultation internally and externally. Leads change management processes for digital transformation and smart city roadmap to ensure successful implementation and adoption, maximizing economies of scale and measuring outcomes.
This role will facilitate a data driven culture that focuses on openness by default. As Open Government is a priority, this role will be accountable for evolving the City’s digital services and channels while increasing access and availability of information/data across all departments.
Focused on making the City more open and collaborative, encouraging innovation and community participation, a key priority is working with external partners in Academia, business and inter-governmentally to share data, leverage expertise and investment to solve community issues and improve quality of life in the City.
- Accountable for the development and implementation of the Smart City and Digital Transformation strategies and roadmaps that serve as a foundation to becoming a digitally connected government.
- Reporting to the City Manager and working in partnership with the Senior Leadership Team this role is accountable for the City’s Digital Office which leads digital transformation at the City, delivery of the Smart City and Open Government programs, and focuses on driving, supporting and reporting on implementation.
- Accountable for the delivery of the Smart City/Digital Service Profile, this position oversees and monitors the organization’s implementation of digital tools, on-line services and availability of data.
- Leads the planning and implementation of digital government, this includes evolving the City’s digital channels to improve the service experience. Working in cross-boundary role, use design thinking and co-collaboration approaches, facilitating opportunities for community participation and new partnerships. This includes a user experience focus to the development of new services, using global best practices.
- Responsible for developing and overseeing implementation of a digital channel roadmap that makes on-line services more widely available, simple and easy to use.
- Act as both lead and central point of awareness for smart initiatives, with an overview of city-wide activities to maximize opportunities to increase economies of scale in investments and enable data sharing through enabling cross boundary projects.
- Oversees delivery of common tools and approaches and sets policies and standards that enable digital government, allow for centralization of data, and creating a city-wide view to enable the City to be responsive and predictive.
- Lead change management processes for digital transformation and the smart city plan to support adoption.
- Partners with Information Technology on implementation of strategic projects. Works with all divisions to ensure requirements are effectively gathered with a focus on outcomes.
- Actively participates in Smart City Networks, building global relationships and seeking external partnerships and funding opportunities to maximize impact.
- Extensive and progressive management and senior leadership experience within a public or private organization.
- Proven success serving as a thought leader and driver of digital transformation, including modernizing and developing digital programs that deliver solutions.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing a broad portfolio that has direct and indirect accountabilities that are cross-boundary.
- The candidate demonstrates an understanding of the need for government modernization, including existing and emerging global trends that are relevant in the municipal context.
- Possesses previous experience developing strategies, plans, and implementation roadmaps.
- The CDO possesses effective planning skills, in addition to project management and implementation abilities for developing and sustaining an organizational climate that promotes quality citizen-oriented service through digital transformation.
- Previous experience in digital transformation and organizational change management is required, as is a thorough understanding of the position’s functions and duties.
- Prior involvement with the delivery of a wide range of programs and services is considered an asset.
- Experience successfully leading and/or managing individuals, at all levels, within a multi-department or cross boundary role that is matrixed.
- Past success being accountable for optimal performance and results.
- Proven record of achieving change management excellence.
- Demonstrated short and long-term vision, and success in proactively analyzing, developing and implementing strategic and operational plans to enable success.
- Ability to work collaboratively senior executives at the municipal and provincial levels.
- An effective public speaker with exceptional presentation and writing abilities.
- Recognized negotiation skills, consensus-building talents and conflict resolution capabilities.
- Strong business acumen and proficiency in understanding and applying applicable legislation.
- Performs well under pressure, including with public scrutiny.
- Solid stakeholder relations skills to develop positive relationships and engage internal and external stakeholders.
Key Attributes for Success:
- Inherent passion for digital and modernizing programs to deliver efficient services and information to citizens.
- Ability to navigate through uncharted waters and develop programs that meeting the needs of the city.
- Ability to gain buy-in from peers and leadership in order to move forward with new ideas and programs.