Our client is a global medical communications agency located in downtown Toronto. They are currently growing due to new business and are looking to add a Senior Medical Writer to join their team.
In this role, you will work on multiple small and large scale projects, often in partnership with other Medical Writers You will be responsible for designing and delivering innovative tools and content solutions for Pharmaceutical clients to use in effectively delivering their message. We need someone who has strong attention to detail, impeccable writing and communications skills and the ability to prioritize and consistently meet deadlines.
The successful candidate will come from a Medical Science Liaison on Medical Affairs background and has experience working in a pharmaceutical company or as a Medical/Scientific Writer within medical consulting agency.
As the Senior Medical Writer, you must be comfortable working directly with clients and be a results-oriented, high energy person who has the ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment. You are someone who is able to anticipate program requirements, prioritize and consistently meet deadlines and understand the needs of building relationships with teammates, clients and vendors.
The Senior Medical Writer reports to the Director Scientific Content and is expected to work with the Content and Project Management Leads on assigned programs/projects. The Senior Writer performs duties with minimal supervision and a high degree of initiative.
Recommendations and proposed solutions related to Content Development/Medical Writing is considered authoritative, but is expected to collaborate with senior leaders appropriately on all projects.
**Candidates must possess an MSc or PhD. You are based in Toronto and are able to work out of the downtown office.**
Content Development and Delivery of Projects:
- Contributes to and provides strategic insight into the development of content for RFPs; Leads the content team in brainstorming sessions identifying innovative and creative approaches for delivering the client’s message. Attends pitch meetings and addresses client’s questions and concerns regarding content, in collaboration with the Project Manager and other senior leaders.
- Contributes to and reviews budgets and timelines to ensure project is doable and highlights potential red flags; identifies conflicts; and determines if the internal resources are available to complete the job to the clients’ specifications.
- Assigns content writers to project teams, matching individual capability and availability to project requirements, in consultation with the Director/VP Scientific Content.
- Manages the development of scientific content to include such items as -- agenda development; sourcing speakers and key opinion leaders (KOLs); slide deck development and other medical related content. Reviews and approves all content and ensures materials are accurate, scientifically correct, compliant with all regulatory requirements and signed off by the client.
- Contributes to and supports Medical Writers in producing non-meeting related reports, publications, synopses and newsletters as required by the client. Reviews and approves all content and ensures slides/materials are accurate, scientifically correct, compliant with all regulatory requirements and signed off by the client and their legal department.
- Works closely with the Director of Product Development & Training in the design, development and refining of content for live, online and other training programs and initiatives.
- Manages contracts and works with third-party suppliers to aid in the development of content and visuals i.e. converting PowerPoint slides; video production; app developers and working with the support of the PM to ensure activities align with the budget.
- Leads meeting rehearsals with the speakers and clients and troubleshoots last-minute changes to content, agenda and supporting visuals, in collaboration with other project team members. Produces well executed presentations and meetings.
- Conducts post event debriefs with the client, project team members and other stakeholders identifying what worked and what didn’t for the purpose of process improvement and lessons learned for subsequent events. Oversees the writing of the final report ensuring it’s compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of Advisory Boards, expert panel meetings and other scientific/study-focused meetings
- Contributes to conduct of investigator/study coordinator meetings
- Assists with management of faculty speakers/relationships (build relationships with key physicians, specialists and stakeholders); liaison with key opinion leaders
- Facilitation of meetings and/or workshops
- Preparation of meeting reports
- Meeting on-site responsibilities include: Rehearsal of speeches, edit speeches when necessary, provide speech notes, put together show file, brief AV team on presentation
- Audience will consist of Nursing Specialists, Medical/Pharma Marketing professionals, Scientists and Physicians
Building and Maintaining Client Relationships:
- Serves as the contact person with the client and other stakeholders (physicians, other HCPs, and members of the medical community) on all matters relating to content development and responds to their ongoing questions and concerns and makes the necessary adjustments.
- Builds trust and adds value to client relations by responding to their requests for information and by providing assistance and advice on potential project/event plans and problems solving with a view to creating future business. Consults with them on creating innovative solutions.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on regulatory requirements ensuring project teams and clients remain in compliance.
- Resolves client’s problems with a view to building relationships and supports the project managers in troubleshooting problems with uncooperative clients, delegates, doctors and other medical professionals.
Organizational & People Leadership:
- Ensures all processes and procedures are followed, quality standards are met and projects are completed on time and within budget
- Works with the senior leadership in the development and implementation of effective strategies to achieve revenue and profitability growth.
- Interviews and recommends the hiring of potential candidates for various content team related positions based on requirements, in collaboration with the Director and VP Scientific Content.
- Reviews work completed by medical/content writers. Coaches and mentors content team members; guides and advises on how to proceed when problems are encountered to ensure that they are resolved promptly and that decisions and initiatives are in line with Six Degrees projects goals and strategies. Creates opportunities to broaden their scope on assigned projects.
- Conducts annual performance reviews of the junior writers, in collaboration with the Director and the VP.
- Candidates must hold an MSc or PhD. This is a hard requirement and we will not look at candidates who do not hold a degree.
- 5+ years’ work experience as a medical writer in a medical advertising agency, CME company or pharmaceutical company
- Background as a Medical Science Liaison or in Medical Affairs
- Strong preference for candidates with Diabetes/Metabolic disease experience
- Solid understanding of clinical trial process and regulatory requirements
- Prior publication experience is an asset
- Demonstrated mastery of written English
- Demonstrated medical writing experience - must be prepared to show samples of writing
- Demonstrated high-level end-user computer skills with advanced skills in PowerPoint and data plotting (i.e. word processing, tables and graphics, spreadsheets, presentations using PowerPoint, templates, databases, search engines)
- Pharmaceutical industry knowledge and familiarity with current affairs
- Clinical Pharmacology knowledge and/or relevant experience preferred
- Excellent time management skills; able to prioritize and multitask
- Professional and dependable with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with ambiguity
- Excellent attention to detail with a strong client service ethic and high expectations for quality
- Exceptional communicator with strong command of English language and above average written and oral communication skills
- Strong team player who brings a high-energy approach to client service and delivering results
- Effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality