Our client is a global medical communications agency located in downtown Toronto. They are currently growing and are looking to add a Senior Medical Writer to join their team.
Candidates must posses a PhD in Biological Sciences; have experience within a medical communications/consulting agency or pharmaceutical company; as well as Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency.
In this role, you will work on multiple small and large-scale projects, often in partnership with other Medical Writers. You will be responsible for designing and delivering innovative tools and content solutions for Pharmaceutical clients to use in effectively delivering their message. The content will be developed for live training programs, online/e-learning applications and internal sales training for pharmaceutical reps.
You are a results-oriented, high energy person who has the ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment. Someone who has strong attention to detail, impeccable writing and communications skills and the ability to prioritize and consistently meet deadlines. You are able to anticipate program requirements, prioritize and consistently meet deadlines and understand the needs of building relationships with teammates, clients and vendors.
As the Senior Medical Writer, you must be comfortable working directly with clients and will be focused primarily on developing content for internal pharmaceutical company training – such as training of MSLs on the science behind their company’s products as well as disease state education and developing client relationships regarding these areas of responsibility.
The team is made up of a group of over 30 high-achievers who have a passion for their work, a sense of humour and the desire to make a difference.
Requirements of Role:
Knowledge, Skills & Competency Requirements:
- Knowledge of the global Pharma industry and the associated regulatory and compliance requirements
- Knowledge of global drug development process and produce market needs
- Knowledge of the methods, techniques, and procedures of scientific writing tasks
- Knowledge of/ability to research and learn about the medical specialties of client base
- Ability to analyze critically and synthesize complex scientific information from a range of scientific disciplines.
- Ability able to handle a variety of constituencies, juggle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- High degree of influencing skills in shaping and developing content and wording.
- Demonstrates awareness of the cultural diversity of the participating clients/delegates in various events and plans/responds appropriately
- Operates comfortably under pressure, stays focused on accomplishing results during periods of high stress
- Organizational skills and the ability to be flexible in managing changing priorities.
- Strong Writing, Proofing and Copy-editing skills and slide design
- Expert Facilitation skills
- Team player; interrelates and operates effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate others
- Integrity, positive attitude, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for agency vision and mission and committed to working collaboratively with a team of senior professionals.
- Expert MS Office skills with a special focus on, presentations, graphics and templates.
- Analytical, Problem Solving and Decision-Making Skills
- Presentation Skills
Content Development and Delivery of Projects:
- Developing content for online internal pharmaceutical company training, online/e-learning application as well as live training programs.
- Contributes to and provides strategic insight into the development of content for RFPs; Leads the content team in brainstorming sessions identifying innovative and creative approaches for delivering the client’s message. Attends pitch meetings and addresses client’s questions and concerns regarding content, in collaboration with the Project Manager and other senior leaders.
- Contributes to and reviews budgets and timelines to ensure project is doable and highlights potential red flags; identifies conflicts; and determines if the internal resources are available to complete the job to the clients’ specifications.
- Assigns content writers to project teams, matching individual capability and availability to project requirements, in consultation with the Director/VP Scientific Content.
- Manages the development of scientific content to include such items as -- agenda development; sourcing speakers and key opinion leaders (KOLs); slide deck development and other medical related content. Reviews and approves all content and ensures materials are accurate, scientifically correct, compliant with all regulatory requirements and signed off by the client.
- Contributes to and supports Medical Writers in producing non-meeting related reports, publications, synopses and newsletters as required by the client. Reviews and approves all content and ensures slides/materials are accurate, scientifically correct, compliant with all regulatory requirements and signed off by the client and their legal department.
- Works closely with the Director of Product Development & Training in the design, development and refining of content for live, online and other training programs and initiatives.
- Manages contracts and works with third-party suppliers to aid in the development of content and visuals i.e. converting PowerPoint slides; video production; app developers and working with the support of the PM to ensure activities align with the budget.
- Leads meeting rehearsals with the speakers and clients and troubleshoots last-minute changes to content, agenda and supporting visuals, in collaboration with other project team members. Produces well executed presentations and meetings.
- Conducts post event debriefs with the client, project team members and other stakeholders identifying what worked and what didn’t for the purpose of process improvement and lessons learned for subsequent events. Oversees the writing of the final report ensuring it’s compliant with regulatory requirements.
Building and Maintaining Client Relationships:
- Serves as the contact person with the client and other stakeholders (physicians, other HCPs, and members of the medical community) on all matters relating to content development and responds to their ongoing questions and concerns and makes the necessary adjustments.
- Builds trust and adds value to client relations by responding to their requests for information and by providing assistance and advice on potential project/event plans and problems solving with a view to creating future business. Consults with them on creating innovative solutions.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on regulatory requirements ensuring project teams and clients remain in compliance.
- Resolves client’s problems with a view to building relationships and supports the project managers in troubleshooting problems with uncooperative clients, delegates, doctors and other medical professionals.
Organizational & People Leadership:
- Ensures all processes and procedures are followed, quality standards are met and projects are completed on time and within budget
- Works with the SDM senior leadership in the development and implementation of effective strategies to achieve revenue and profitability growth.
- Interviews and recommends the hiring of potential candidates for various content team related positions based on requirements, in collaboration with the Director and VP Scientific Content.
- Reviews work completed by medical/content writers. Coaches and mentors content team members; guides and advises on how to proceed when problems are encountered to ensure that they are resolved promptly, and that decisions and initiatives are in line with agency projects goals and strategies. Creates opportunities to broaden their scope on assigned projects.
- Conducts annual performance reviews of the junior writers, in collaboration with the Director and the VP.
- Candidates must hold a PhD in life sciences. This is a hard requirement and we will not consider applicants without these credentials.
- 5-8 years’ experience in developing medical education programs, online/e-learning and development of trial investigator-related meetings.