Boat Rocker Media is currently seeking an experienced SVP, Business & Legal Affairs to oversee the business and legal affairs related to the development, production and distribution divisions of the company.
S/He will own the negotiation of all production and distribution deals and will rigorously evaluate alternate deal structures for the benefit of the company. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with producers, broadcasters, financiers and outside attorneys and agents.
Boat Rocker Media is an award winning global entertainment company that creates, produces and distributes premium content and brands for all platforms.
Requirements of Role:
The ideal candidate will need to lead and mentor Boat Rocker’s Business & Legal Affairs team, and manage multiple internal clients and divisions.
- Oversee all business and legal affairs functions, including all phases of structuring, negotiating and drafting production, international distribution, international co-production deals, and related ancillary agreements.
- Draft and negotiate development, production and exploitation related agreements, including test options and other talent deals, broadcast license and distribution agreements, equity agreements, interim financing agreements.
- Provide strategic advice on creator/showrunner, IP licensing, housekeeping, first look and pod deals, and negotiate and draft such deals.
- Provide advice on clearance issues related to Boat Rocker’s productions.
- Provide strategic advice to management executives on talent guild matters, funding agency requirements, and legal and regulatory matters, and advise on general legal and corporate matters.
- Supervise and train business affairs directors and managers.
- Work closely with finance department and understand the regulations and guidelines which underpin Canadian content financing, including expert knowledge in CAVCO regulations, CMF guidelines, and Telefilm co-production treaties.
- Liaise closely with funding agencies and other key financing partners.
- Collaborate with, provide advice to and synthesize feedback from business leaders in the Company.
- Maintain awareness and understanding of the latest developments in the law and technology as they relate to the development, production and distribution of content.
- Coordinate with outside legal counsel on various legal matters, if applicable.
A strong background in production legals, with experience in the complex business and legal environment of Canadian content production and financing is necessary.
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 10 years relevant entertainment/media industry experience in television production and distribution with transactional legal and business affairs experience.
- The ideal candidate will have experience with both traditional linear and digital media.
- Sound international experience, particularly in respect of the US market.
- Proven track-record of creatively addressing legal and business issues.
- Ability to analyze transactions and risks from a sound pragmatic and commercial perspective, with strong technical expertise.
- Passion for and practical knowledge of the TV and digital industries and needs to be fully conversant with overall and specific markets in which Boat Rocker operates to make sound commercial/business judgments.
- Intimate knowledge of the Canadian funding environment is important, as is financial acumen and familiarity with production financing and recoupment modelling.
- Knowledge of digital and SVOD deal structures and unscripted television is helpful.
- Expert knowledge of Canadian guilds (WGC, DGC, and ACTRA) and union regulations, working knowledge of US guilds (WGA, DGA and SAG-AFTRA) and related legal trends and business practices.
- Deep understanding of media/content business models with an ability to devise new business models.
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills.
- Experience with international production and co-production deals and structures.
- Established industry relationships with agencies and production companies an asset.
- Proven experience developing and maintaining internal relationships.
- Must be able to work under tight timelines and meet deadlines.
- Significant management ability and experience vis-à-vis other business affairs professionals.
- Superior organization and project management skills are necessary.
- Ability to top-line issues for senior network executives and producers on a daily basis and communicate in a clear, concise and succinct manner.
Key Attributes for Success:
- A strong leader who strives in an entrepreneurial environment, who is a team player and who can work well independently.
- Confidence level and stature to work with and advise the senior leadership team.
- Highly business orientated and commercially aware.
- Excellent organizational skills, and detail-oriented with an ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- High level of integrity and judgment in managing confidential / sensitive information.
- Willingness to work effectively and timely across time zones with colleagues and clients throughout the globe.
- Takes responsibility for assigned tasks, shows initiative to suggest improvements to processes and procedures.
- A communicator who is pro-active in his/her approach to both opportunities and problems, but always as part of the team.
- An analytical mind, able to trouble-shoot effectively and calmly with an ability to react to challenges and maintain a sense of humor.
- Strategic thinker with strong business and legal acumen.
- S/he must be able to multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, and operate autonomously within corporate parameters.
- A successful candidate is expected to be able to build strong internal and external client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong partner and internal satisfaction through strategic thinking and firm decision-making.
A competitive compensation package, including base salary and bonus will be provided as well as the potential to participate in the company’s long-term incentive plan.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
Ideal timing for hire:
Thank you for your application but only those being considered for the role will be contacted.