The Principal Power Systems Engineer, P.Eng. is an industry recognized leader in their discipline and is sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the power systems portfolio in both the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered. As an expert in your field, you play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to guide and mentor more junior employees and manage power systems engineering projects, including design, analysis, and implementation of power distribution systems, protection systems, and control systems. You are also responsible for maintaining project schedules and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy and providing recommendations for system improvements. You will utilize your power systems expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Power team and practice.Your Key Accountabilities
- Minimum 15 years of relevant power systems engineering experience in an engineering or project management role with a technical firm.
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Solid client relationship management experience and collaborate with clients, stakeholders, and team members to ensure project success.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the power systems team.
- Extensive knowledge in engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience.
- Experience in engineering design for surface and underground mining operations is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Ability to prepare and interpret engineering designs, isometric drawings, P&IDs, structural details, layouts, and other visual aids.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in medium voltage and high voltage power distribution and substation design experience and experience with power systems including power systems studies (load flow and protective device coordination using Easy power, SKM and ETAP), power apparatus in utility and mining projects, project scopes, project schedules and deliverables.
- Ability to manage large and complex projects, including managing budgets and schedules.
- Must have strong project management skills and experience in leading projects.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Effectively liaise with other engineers, specialists, EITs, designers and project managers to ensure client needs are met.
- Willingness to travel, if required, and attend meetings and field visits on client sites.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
Stay updated with industry trends, regulations, and emerging technologies related to power systems engineering.Your Education and License
- University degree in Power systems engineering or related discipline.
- Professional engineering license in Ontario.
- Valid driver’s license with access to a personal vehicle.
IQ PARTNERS is committed to operating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and we encourage candidates of every race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience to apply for this position. We’d be happy to provide accommodation for any candidate that requires assistance due to a disability or medical need. Please contact us at 416-599-4700 or by email at email@example.com to discuss specific accommodations.