Happy (Almost) Earth Day!
The one day of the year where people around the world collectively demonstrate support for environmental protection. It’s also a great reminder to everyone that there is still a lot of work to be done, and many things we can do individually and collectively to lessen our impact on the environment.
Since you are probably reading this from your office, and you spend a good portion of your week there, we thought it would be a good idea to provide some ideas for how your office can reduce its environmental impact.
Think twice about your electronics usage. Use them more efficiently with these tips:
1. Always double check that you have properly shut down your computer, printer, and other electronic devices before leaving the office for the day
2. Only turn on electronic devices when you plan to use them
3. If you leave the office for an extended period of time during the day, shut down your computer
4. Make sure to use energy efficient power bars and use devices in power-saving mode
5. Use laptops over desktops – they use less energy
Paper has a HUGE impact on the environment. Here are some ways to reduce paper usage:
6. Work digitally, if possible
7. Always think twice before printing. Ask yourself – “Do I really need to print this?”
8. Achieve electronically – use the cloud!
9. When printing, use both sides of the page
10. Consider an office printing policy to limit how much paper is used (plus, it will reduce your stationery budget)
11. Reuse paper if possible
12. Always recycle
How you get to work matters. Consider these options for a green commute:
13. Use public transportation, if possible
14. If you drive, consider starting an office carpool
15. Encourage employees to walk or bike to work
16. Allow for telecommuting from time to time
17. Have video conferences rather than traveling to meetings
18. Offer incentives or bonuses for green commuters in your office
Reduce your office’s environmental impact using these tips:
19. Lower the thermostat a few degrees in the winter and increase it a few degrees in the summer
20. Use energy efficient light bulbs
21. Turn off lights when not in use
22. Use reusable dishes and silverware in the break room
23. Use environmentally friendly cleaning supplies
24. Install hand dryers in the bathroom rather than using paper towels
25. Get actively involved in local events supporting environmental awareness
If everyone who reads this post implemented one of the above ways to reduce their office’s environmental impact, it could make a big difference.
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.
Riel is a VP of Client Services with IQ PARTNERS where he recruits across the full scope of multiple lines of business, with a particular focus in Financial Services & Insurance, Technology, Human Resources, and Real Estate Services.