No one wants to get fired, but it happens, and for a variety of reasons. In an era where almost any professional is replaceable and can be replaced at a moment’s notice, finance and accounting professionals need to be on top of their game. With the marketplace becoming increasingly competitive, it’s important to be aware of the reasons why people get fired, especially within the finance industry.
The following outlines some common reasons why people get fired in today’s marketplace, and more importantly, the top reasons financial professionals get fired:
We all know about the typical reasons people get fired:
More commonly today, people are also getting fired for complaining or making inappropriate comments on social media. This is a no-no, regardless of your job.
It’s safe to say, if you are guilty of any of the above, you put yourself at risk of being fired from any job. However, there are some finance and accounting industry specific reasons you could be putting your position at risk.
1. You are always behind: Companies rely on finance and accounting professionals to have up-to-date data so they can make strategic decisions using the most relevant and timely information.
2. You exposed your company to a potential data breach: A company’s financial information cannot be compromised. If you expose it to a potential breach, you risk being hacked, having company financials made public, and losing your competitive edge over competitors.
3. You lack forecasting and business skills: Being good with the numbers is only part of your job. Increasingly, financial professionals also need to have the skills and abilities to interpret the numbers, consult organizational leaders, and provide insights into how to best leverage the company’s financial situation.
4. Poor communication and interpersonal skills: Fitting within the organizational culture is very important. You need to have the interpersonal and communication skills to become a valued member of the team.
5. You break the law: As a financial professional, you are bound to a number of governmental regulations and laws when managing your company’s financial data and information. If you break the law and get your company in trouble with the government, the odds are you will be shown the door.
Whether you are a financial professional looking to take the next step in your career or an organization seeking to hire top talent, our Financial Services & Insurance Recruiters in Toronto can help. Learn more about how we work and contact us to learn more.
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm with offices in Toronto and Vancouver. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering, Sciences, and Construction, Property & Real Estate. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.
Ross Campbell is a Partner and Practice Lead, Financial Services & Insurance with IQ PARTNERS. Celebrating over 10 years of management consulting experience in executive search, recruitment, and training in Canadian financial services and insurance companies, Ross thrives on the belief that business can be done significantly better by investing in the right people.