COVID-19 has drastically changed how companies approve recruiting and hiring. Some companies are completely shut down and not hiring at all, while others have made big changes to the hiring process. Social distancing has affected everything from initial contact to employment offers and everything in between.
7 Things That COVID-19 Has Changed About the Hiring Process
According to Toronto recruiters, here are some of the key ways the hiring process has changed in light of the coronavirus pandemic:
- Boom and bust: In some industries, hiring has come to a complete halt. In others, it has slowed down, and for essential service industries, there has been a hiring boom.
- Local candidates: Since COVID-19 developments around the world are unclear, many companies are focusing on local or internal candidates.
- Slower and faster hiring: For companies that are not in essential industries, you can expect the hiring process to slow. Some companies have intentions to hire, but due to uncertainty, they are not quick to make a hiring decision. In-demand industries are looking for all the help they can get. This means they are hiring at lightning speed to try to keep up with demand.
- Video interviews: In-person interviews have been put on hold. If you receive an interview request, expect to have a phone or video job interview. Brush up on your video skills. Companies are using tools such as Zoom, Google Hangouts, and other video conferencing technology.
- Temporary roles: Many companies have shifted to temporary or contract job offers. They are also more willing than ever to hire freelancers in these uncertain times. Look for companies that offer temporary roles with the possibility of a permanent job in the future.
- Digital employment offers: If you get a job offer, expect to get correspondence via email. You may be required to provide digital signatures. Or you will be expected to scan, print and sign documentation. Some companies may still send the job offer via mail.
- Virtual onboarding: With most companies operating remotely, expect your initial training and onboarding to happen digitally. You can expect to have online training seminars and video conferences with your new colleagues.
Get More Job Search Insights From Toronto Recruiters
Check out these effective job search tips and information from our expert Toronto headhunters to learn more about the hiring process.
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Executive Search / Board & C-Suite, Technology, Media, Digital & Marketing, Accounting & Finance, Financial Services & Insurance, Cannabis, Startup, Data Science, Consumer, eCommerce & Retail, Operations & HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain & Engineering, Legal & Professional Services, Pharmaceutical & Life Sciences, Non-Profit & Sustainability, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.