COVID-19 has brought a lot of businesses to an abrupt halt. Many companies have shut down, shifted to remote work, and some have put a freeze on hiring.
For job seekers, this has caused concern about whether to put their job search on hold for the time being. Should you wait until COVID-19 is over to look for a job?
The short answer is NO. Here’s why:
- We don’t know how long it will take for things to get back to normal
- Hiring freezes are temporary
- Many companies are still recruiting and hiring – just at a slower pace
- Companies will recover – when they do, you can be top of mind by connecting with them now
5 COVID-19 Job Search Tips From Toronto Recruiters
How you search for a job will change somewhat. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your job search during COVID-19:
- Update your resume: COVID-19 has highlighted the need for everyone to have technology skills. Update your resume and cover letter to reflect these skills.
- Adjust your expectations: There will be fewer job posts. You may have a more challenging time finding the type of job you are looking for. Be open and willing to expand your search net and consider other roles related to your area of expertise.
- Have patience: This is a frustrating time for many. Expect companies to take longer than normal. Everyone is adjusting to the current work conditions. This can create delays and gaps in communication.
- Keep applying: Don’t let current conditions slow down the momentum you’ve built up. Dedicate time each day to your job search.
- Professional development: Now is the perfect time to add new skills and work on making yourself a better professional. Look for courses, webinars, books and other resources you can use to add to your professional tool kit. There are many great online resources being offered for free. Take advantage!
Consider a Temporary Role in the Interim
There are many service-based companies in dire need of assistance. Whether you’ve been temporarily laid off or were in job search mode before this crisis, there are jobs available. Many of IQ PARTNERS’ clients are hiring contractors into roles normally filled by full time hires. Temporary roles can help you generate some income while you continue to search for a job in your field.
More Information From Toronto Recruiters About COVID-19 and Job Searching
5 Effective Tips for How to Work From Home During COVID-19
How to Shift Business Operations During COVID-19
Thanks, but No, Thanks. 3 Major Red Flags to Watch Out for in Job Descriptions
Does Working From Home Hurt Your Career?
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Executive Search / Board & C-Suite, Technology, Media, Digital & Marketing, Accounting & Finance, Financial Services & Insurance, Cannabis, Startup, Data Science, Consumer, eCommerce & Retail, Operations & HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain & Engineering, Legal & Professional Services, Pharmaceutical & Life Sciences, Non-Profit & Sustainability, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.