When an employee quits, you are losing a lot more than a person. You are losing expert knowledge and insights. It will also cost you money to recruit, hire, and train a replacement. Turnover can be expensive and time-consuming, to say the least.
If you can prevent employees from quitting, you can save your organization a lot of time, money, and minimize disruption. If an employee quits unexpectedly, it can have an even more detrimental and far-reaching impact.
You can potentially dissuade employees from quitting when you understand the top signs. Here is a list of how to tell if someone is potentially going to quit:
Top 6 Signs an Employee Might Quit
Here are some top signs you have an employee who may be thinking about leaving:
- You notice a change in attitude and motivation
- There is a stark dip in productivity and they are less interested in their performance
- They are less active in meetings
- You receive fewer communications from them
- They start taking more days off, are late, or leave early
- Multiple people start to notice changes in the employee
How to Prevent Employees From Quitting
Being proactive and taking preventative action is the most effective way to prevent turnover. You need to do good by your employees well before they start to consider exiting the company. Once they start thinking about quitting, it may be too late, and it will be challenging to get them to stay long-term. Here are a few simple but effective tips to keep your employees:
- Establish a culture of open communications: Create an environment where it is okay for employees to raise concerns. Encourage honesty.
- Get your people involved in important conversations: Ask your people for input. Encourage them to share their ideas and have an impact on strategic decisions. This will help keep them active and engaged.
- Value your people: Recognize your people regularly. Praise their successes.
- Conduct stay interviews: Sitting down with your people occasionally to check in with them is important. Talk about what they enjoy and would like to change about their current role. This allows you to address their concerns before things become a bigger issue.
Read More on Our Recruiting Blog
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Executive Search / Board & C-Suite, Technology, Media, Digital & Marketing, Accounting & Finance, Financial Services & Insurance, Cannabis, Startup, Data Science, Consumer, eCommerce & Retail, Operations & HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain & Engineering, Legal & Professional Services, Pharmaceutical & Life Sciences, Non-Profit & Sustainability, and Sales. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.