The recruiting process is continuous. It doesn’t stop once an employee is hired. It continues throughout the onboarding process. However, many organizations fail to fully utilize the onboarding process to properly integrate new employees into company culture and get them up to speed.
The Onboarding Process Is Underutilized
Most companies fail to effectively use the onboarding process. One study estimates that 76% of Human Resources leaders believe the onboarding process is underutilized. The study also estimates that about one-quarter of companies have no onboarding strategy.
Lack of an onboarding process can not only make it more difficult for new hires to ramp up quickly, it could cause them to question their decision to take the job and start looking elsewhere.
Poor Onboarding Leads to Employee Exits
Failing to put time and effort into a strong onboarding process could cause new hires to look elsewhere. According to a recent survey by Digitate, the onboarding process is vital to properly getting new hires up to speed and keeping them. The survey found:
- The onboarding process is commonly overlooked and may be a source of competitive disadvantage.
- Employees who had a negative onboarding experience are twice as likely to look for a new job in the near future.
- Once the onboarding process is complete, one in five new hires is unlikely to recommend the company to others.
Top Onboarding Mistakes to Overcome
Here are some of the most common onboarding mistakes currently made by organizations:
- Not having a formal onboarding process
- Not checking in with new hires after the job offer is accepted
- Failure to formally welcome new hires to the organization
- Failure to give employees enough time to learn
- Overloading new hires with too much work and information too quickly
- Failure to set expectations for new hires
These mistakes could overwhelm new hires and make them feel like more of an outsider than part of the team. Correcting these issues, especially having a formal process in place, can significantly improve your ability to onboard new employees more effectively. It will also reduce the chances of you losing top talent almost as quickly as you hired them.
Learn More About the Onboarding Process
Get more information about how to develop a strong onboarding process by reading these blogs by our expert recruiters:
Strong Onboarding Is Essential to Engage New Marketing Hires
The Importance of Proper Onboarding of Marketing Professionals
Hire Wisdom: New Employee Onboarding – How to Hit the Ground Running
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Technology (IT), Accounting and Finance, Consumer Goods, eCommerce and Retail, Financial Services and Insurance, Startup, B2B and Industrial, Operations and HR, Professional Services and Legal, Media, Digital and Marketing, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, Emerging Technology and Telecom, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.