Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
It’s the day where we celebrate the feast of St. Patrick, wear green, toast each other while enjoying a green beer, and pretend to be Irish for a day.
One thing the Irish have always been known for is luck. The ‘Luck of the Irish’ is a phrase that dates back hundreds of years. While it’s been known to have various meanings over the years, perhaps the most popular has to do with having a positive outlook during a poor situation.
For many people, especially those who are out of work and searching for a job, it’s important to maintain a positive attitude and outlook to get some (Irish) luck on your side – and secure a job interview, call back, or even get a job offer.
So, how do you get the luck of the Irish on your side when searching for a job?
17 Ways to Get Some Luck on Your Side When Looking for a Job
We could all use some luck from time to time. Here are some ways to create some good luck:
- Remain optimistic
- Have realistic expectations – finding the right job can take time
- Believe in yourself
- Add a new skill during your search
- Volunteer and give back
- Get social – network online and offline
- Re-connect with an old business colleague
- Know what you are looking for and where you want to be in 5 years
- Avoid being negative and talking poorly to others – especially during job interviews
- Be persistent with your search
- Be open to new opportunities
- Make do with what you have – the grass isn’t always greener on the other side
- Be prepared – you never know when a call will come in
- Offer to help others – and they may help you in return
- Make the most out of any opportunity presented
- Try things outside of your comfort zone – go to a conference, go on an information interview.
- Make your own luck – if you put the work in, good things will happen
At the end of the day, most people make their own luck. Whether it is good or bad is up to you.
More Job Search Tips
Get more valuable job search insights from our headhunters in Toronto by reading these great blog posts:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.