When we were younger, we all dreamed of being recruited right out of school and having a job lined up after graduation. The truth is that it doesn’t always work out this way, however, it doesn’t mean that it can’t happen. You just need to know how to go about the process to make yourself a desirable candidate.
5 Tips to Land a Job Right Out of School
Here are some eye opening tips about what it takes to get a job in your field right out of school:
1. Have reasonable expectations: This is very important. You have to be reasonable about the type and level of job you can expect right out of school. Don’t expect to land a management job when you have no formal experience. You also need to have reasonable expectations for the number of jobs you will need to apply for and the amount of time it may take to land a job.
2. Start your job search early: It’s never too early to start your job search. This means researching career options, figuring out the type of jobs you want to pursue and networking within your industry while you are still in school. Go to job fairs, volunteer, go on information interviews, and look for other ways to get your foot in the door.
3. It’s about more than your degree: 86% of college seniors believe that their degree will give them an edge, however, this is not always the case. Many companies value experience above all else, and having a combination of education and experience is the best formula.
4. Be a strong interviewee: As one would expect, if you want to land any job, let alone a job in your field right out of school, you will need to perform well in your interviews. Visit the career center at your school and get someone to help you do some mock interviews before you start interviewing with companies.
5. Follow up: One thing that many new job seekers forget to do or overlook the importance of is following up. Sending a quick follow up email after an interview is a simple way to stand out and remind an interviewer about you. That email could be what gets you a call back.
Additional Job Search Tips
Check out these blogs from our Toronto headhunters:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.