Employees get fired. They get “let go.” They get laid off. It’s part of how the work world operates. Getting fired can have a huge impact on you, and it can it can follow you around in interviews, social settings, and in conversations.
“Getting fired can be a huge blow to your ego that is difficult to bounce back from. It not only puts your back up against the wall, it’s also embarrassing. Whether it was your fault or not, after you get fired there is a stigma that follows you everywhere,” says John White on inc.com.
But why do people get fired? Here are some of the top reasons people lose their job:
- Your personality: This is probably not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of reasons why people get fired. Personality is one of the main reasons people get hired and fired. Today’s work environment requires collaboration and building strong relationships. If you don’t get along with your boss and coworkers, you could impact organizational culture. Therefore, clashing with others and not fitting into the team is a top reason people get fired.
- Social media comments: No surprise here. What you say on social media matters, and it’s increasingly a top reason people get fired. If you cause your company any embarrassment, say something controversial, or talk poorly about your company online, if your company catches wind of it, you could get the axe.
- Lack of reliability: Taking too much time off not only makes you unreliable, it can impact productivity and efficiency. The same goes for being late all the time. Being “sick” often can also impact your relationship with coworkers and management, especially if your absences are questionable.
- Poor performance: Whether you are just putting in the bare minimum, you have a poor attitude, or you are simply not cut out for the job and in over your head, poor performance could cost you your job. If you are struggling, talk with management about how you can improve before they decide to let you go.
- Violating company policies: Even if you unknowingly violate a company policy, you could be fired. Make sure you are clear on your company’s policies for health and safety, personal conduct, and internet usage.
- Lying on your resume: Resume lies can catch up with you. Even a small fib about your qualifications or experience could land you in hot water. Be careful about what you include in your resume. Even if it was a small exaggeration, it could hurt your credibility and even get you fired, especially if you are still in a probationary period. Honesty is always the best policy.
Get more career tips and advice by reading these blog posts from our experienced headhunters:
Lost Your Job? 5 Steps You MUST Take Right Away (video)
Candidates, The Job Is Yours to Lose!
5 Things You Should NEVER Do on LinkedIn
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Technology (IT), Accounting and Finance, Consumer Goods, eCommerce and Retail, Financial Services and Insurance, B2B and Industrial, Operations and HR, Professional Services and Legal, Media, Digital and Marketing, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, Emerging Technology and Telecom, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.