Career breaks are becoming increasingly popular, especially with the younger generations in the workforce. It is an opportunity that seems like a risk. It can be scary to take a step away. But a planned career gap can help you come back stronger than ever.
During the pandemic, many people chose to or were forced to take a break from their job. There were thousands of highly skilled and experienced professionals who left their jobs to care for family, re-assess their career plans, or take a step back and recharge.
Below we’ll talk about some of the top reasons you should consider a career break at some point. Then we’ll look at things from the employer’s perspective and discuss why companies should prioritize career re-launchers in their recruiting process.
1. You are burned out: This has become all too common during the pandemic. The stress of the pandemic, changing work conditions, health concerns, and trying to balance work and home life has taken a toll. A career break can help you recharge and refocus.
2. Upskill: Take the opportunity to add a new skill that will help you with career advancement. You could go back to school, complete a certification program, take an online course, or complete a professional development program.
3. Reassess your life: Sometimes you need to take a step back to assess what you really want to get out of your career and your life.
4. Try something new: Do you have a passion or alternative career that you were always curious about pursuing? A career break is a great opportunity to follow your dreams and see if you can make a passion into a career.
5. Focus on your health: If you are feeling mentally or physically unwell, it’s important to take action. If you don’t have your health, you don’t have anything.
Career re-launchers should be on your recruiting radar. Carol Fishman Cohen, on Harvard Business Review, explains:
“As the economy rebounds, companies will need to lure this talent back—and return-to-work programs provide a vehicle for doing so. These programs—aimed at mid-career professionals who’ve taken time off from employment—have been around for 20 years.”
Targeting people who are re-entering the workforce can help companies get access to top-quality talents. Here is why you should target them:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Executive Search / Board & C-Suite, Technology, Media, Digital & Marketing, Accounting & Finance, Financial Services & Insurance, Cannabis, Startup, Data Science, Consumer, eCommerce & Retail, Operations & HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain & Engineering, Legal & Professional Services, Pharmaceutical & Life Sciences, Non-Profit & Sustainability, and Sales. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.
Phil is a VP of Client Services with a focus in Technology, Digital Media, Telecom, and Cannabis recruitment. With over 12 years of executive search and recruitment experience, he has successfully delivered on hundreds of senior level searches in these areas.