By Paige Allen, Toronto PR & Marketing Recruiter
Where you look for talent today can be just as important as who you are looking for. If you are looking for young, up-and-coming professionals, you need to have a presence where they hang out online. Instagram is quickly becoming a reputable alternative to LinkedIn when recruiting talent online, especially college students.
Survey Results – Instagram on the Rise, Facebook on the Decline
A recent report by TERMINALFOUR, a digital marketing agency, has found that Facebook is losing steam as a space to recruit talent. Instagram is picking up where Facebook is lacking – the platform is aging and younger social media users are now flocking to Instagram.
- 62% reported Facebook to be the best platform for engagement in 2017. Only 45% said the same in 2018.
- Instagram rose from 20% to 36% year-on-year. This makes it the fastest growing social media platform for student recruitment.
- 32% of marketing and recruitment professionals expect Instagram to be the social media platform they work with most over the next year.
- 36% of survey respondents said they would focus their time on Facebook. This is down from 54% in 2017.
Tips to Recruit on Instagram
Instagram is a relatively new social media platform. It’s image-based, making it very different from traditional platforms. But many of the same rules for recruiting effectively apply:
- Have a strong brand presence: A strong brand presence is important on all social media platforms. Make sure you use high quality photos and graphics, share instances of company workplace culture, and make it easy for job seekers to connect and communicate with your organization.
- Use the search function: Instagram is very searchable. You can search for people, tags, and places to connect with talent. Make sure to use hashtags and location modifiers to create more visibility for your posts – especially when providing hiring information.
- Be an active participant: Engage with your followers, comment on related recruiting posts, and quickly respond to your users.
Learn More About Social Media and Recruiting
Get more insightful information about how to use social media as part of your recruiting process. Check out these blogs by our marketing recruiters:
Tips to Create a Desirable Employer Brand Using Social Media
4 Things Candidates Must Know About Getting Recruited on Social Media
3 Preventable Social Media Mistakes Made By Job Candidates
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Technology (IT), Accounting and Finance, Consumer Goods, eCommerce and Retail, Financial Services and Insurance, Startup, Cannabis, Big Data, B2B and Industrial, Operations and HR, Professional Services and Legal, Media, Digital and Marketing, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, Emerging Technology and Telecom, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.