By Bruce Powell, Founder & Executive Recruiter
Since it’s December and many of us around the office are getting in the holiday spirit, we thought that it’s only appropriate to put together a Christmas-themed blog post to help job seekers.
We present to you the 12 job search tips of Christmas:
1. Get a professional resume review If you have not done so in the past, perhaps it’s time to get your resume assessed by a professional. It’s more than worth the investment.
2. Brush up on those interview skills: Even if you interview well, there is always room for improvement. Consider working with a recruiter to help you improve your approach to job interviews. Learn more by watching Interview Blunders.
3. Stop looking in the same places: Looking at the same job boards and same job posts daily will not get you far. Start thinking about new ways to look for career opportunities.
4. Use a recruiter: Recruiters can be offer significant advice and help you connect with the companies you want to work for. Check out 3 Ways to Get the Most Out of Working with a Headhunter.
5. Get friendly and network: Networking is one of the most effective, and overlooked, ways to connect with other professionals in your industry. The more people you know, the more potential opportunities may be out there for you.
6. Dress for the job you want: First impressions matter, and if you secure a job interview, one of the first things a potential employer notices is how you present yourself. Learn more by reading How to Dress for Career Success and Land Your Dream Job.
7. Negotiate your employment terms: If you accept the first offer from an employer, you could be leaving money and benefits on the table. Companies expect you to negotiate. Know what you are worth and ask for it. Read Should I Take the First Offer or Should I Negotiate?
8. Be realistic: Many people have trouble finding a job because they are focused on applying for their dream jobs rather than the jobs they are qualified for right now.
9. Social media matters: Social media, whether you like it or not, has become part of the recruiting and job search industry. Companies common find potential candidates through social media, and they also eliminate candidates based on what they find on people’s social media accounts. Get your social media profiles in order and make sure they present you in a positive manner. Check out Big Bad Social Media Profile Slip-Ups Than Can Cost You A Job.
10. Find companies you want to work for: Your career is not always about finding a job you want, it can also be about looking for companies you want to work for. Do some research, find companies you would like to work for, and approach your job search in this manner.
11. Recognize it’s not always a sprint: Finding the right job with the right company where you are a good fit can take time. Understand this, and be prepared for your job search to take some time.
12. Don’t be a typical job candidate: You need to offer something that is unique and separates you from the pool of hundreds of potential job candidates vying for the same job. Often, having experience is not enough. Look for new ways to get an edge – build a social media presence, blog, contribute to industry publications, attend networking events. These are all things that can help you become a more attractive candidate.
Get more tips from our Toronto Headhunters by checking out the Tips from a Headhunter for Job Seekers on our blog.
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm in Toronto. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.