There are things you can and cannot control when you are looking for a job in the finance and accounting industry. This is a challenge for many candidates, but it’s just the nature of the job search process.
Here, Toronto finance recruiters outline what you can and can’t control when looking for a job:
What You CANNOT Control When Looking for a Finance Job
There are a number of things that are outside of your control when searching for a job in finance. They include:
- The economy: You cannot control the current state of the economy and its effect on the finance industry. You cannot control the hiring trends at the time, but you can adapt to them.
- The companies that are hiring: You may have a list of companies you want to work for. If they are not hiring, it doesn’t mean they won’t be hiring in the future. Look to establish a relationship with the company now so you are on their radar in the future.
- Your competition: You have no control over who you are competing against for a job. Even if you are qualified, sometimes you get beat out by more experienced candidates. Don’t take it personally.
- The interviewer/interview process: You don’t have a say in who will interview you and the types of interview tactics they will use. You may find you are strong in some areas and weak in others.
What You CAN Control When Job Searching
Even if there are a variety of factors you cannot control, how you adjust to these factors is the key to a successful job search. Here are some things you can control:
- Your effort: You have complete control over how much you put into the job search process. You can control your preparation for job interviews and how you perform. You get out what you put into it.
- Your career focus: You can shift your career focus based on hiring and industry trends.
- Professional growth: If you are having trouble getting the type of jobs you want, you can take steps to add more skills and improve professionally to make yourself a more attractive candidate.
- Your attitude: You never know what you will be faced with when searching for a job, but you can control your reaction to the challenges you face. If you have a great attitude and positive outlook, you will put yourself in a position to be successful.
More Finance and Accounting Career Advice From Toronto Recruiters
3 Myths About Public Accounting That Are NOT True
5 Insightful Interview Questions to Ask Finance Candidates
4 Things to Do When You Lose a Top Employee
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Executive Search / Board & C-Suite, Technology, Media, Digital & Marketing, Accounting & Finance, Financial Services & Insurance, Cannabis, Startup, Data Science, Consumer, eCommerce & Retail, Operations & HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain & Engineering, Legal & Professional Services, Pharmaceutical & Life Sciences, Non-Profit & Sustainability, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.