By Bruce Powell, Founder & Executive Recruiter
The Canadian federal government has officially announced the winners of the supercluster funding program, a program that hopes to create economic growth in a number of key industries.
The goal of the program is to create a Canadian version of Silicon Valley that will create innovation, research, and development across a number of sectors. The goal of the program is to create 50,000 new jobs across Canada.
“What is a supercluster? It is a made-in-Canada Silicon Valley that will create tens of thousands of jobs – that’s what a supercluster is,” Innovation Minister, Navdeep Bains said when announcing the winners.
“It’s about collaboration as well. Look at this room – we have academia, business, you have small business and large business, and we have government – working together, promoting collaboration, supporting our supply chains and also developing and nurturing skills and knowledge, and making sure that we pass that knowledge from one generation to another.”
The Winning Superclusters
Here are the 5 winning superclusters that will share the $950 million in funding:
- The Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster: Based in Ontario. This will connect technology with manufacturing to prepare for future advancements.
- The Ocean Supercluster: Based in Atlantic Canada. Its focus is to improve competitiveness in fisheries, clean energy, and oil and gas.
- The Digital Technology Supercluster: Based in British Columbia. It will use digital technologies and big data to identify potential developments in health, manufacturing, and forestry.
- The Protein Industry Supercluster: Based in the Prairies. It’s focused on making Canada a leading source of plant proteins.
- The Scale AI Supercluster: Based in Quebec. It will focus on using AI to create intelligent supply chains.
How much each supercluster will receive in funding is yet to be determined. Bidding groups have also committed a combined $1.5 billion in funding.
What Do These New Superclusters Mean for the Job Market?
The announcement of the winning superclusters is only the beginning of an extensive process. The investment in these superclusters means more jobs in these sectors across Canada. It provides job seekers with a strong idea of where job opportunities will exist in the coming years and in which regions.
Read More About the Job Market
Read more about the supercluster and job market in Canada. Check out these blogs:
How Canadian Superclusters Will Affect the Job Market
4 Insider Tips for Accessing the Hidden Job Market
55+ Is One of Canada’s Hottest Job Markets
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Technology (IT), Accounting and Finance, Consumer Goods, eCommerce and Retail, Financial Services and Insurance, Startup, B2B and Industrial, Operations and HR, Professional Services and Legal, Media, Digital and Marketing, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, Emerging Technology and Telecom, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.