Once graduating from school, we all have aspirations of making it to the top of our industry, and this is no different for marketing professionals. We want to get our career off to a great start, build our professional reputation and climb the career ladder as quickly as possible.
In our desire to advance our careers as quickly as possible, we do open the door for making mistakes. Sure, it’s easy to get caught up with career advancement, but it can also lead to situations where we could actually be doing more harm than good.
Most Professionals Make Career Altering Mistakes
- 69% have done something that damaged their career
- 31% have done something that cost them a pay increase or promotion
- 27% have done something that damaged a work relationship
- 11% have done something that ruined their reputation
3 Key Things That Will Impede Marketing Career Success
Have you made a big enough mistake that it had an impact on your marketing career objectives? Here are some common things to avoid if you want to meet your marketing career goals:
1. Over-promising and under-delivering: This is a common mistake made by professionals in all industries. This can especially be the case during job interviews or when you are trying to land a client contract. Why put additional stress on yourself? Especially if you know that you are promising something that you know will be extremely difficult to follow through.
2. Sucking up to your boss: No one likes a suck up. “Sucking up has nothing to do with a real relationship built on respect; it is sneaky and underhanded. Suck-ups try to get ahead by stroking the boss’s ego instead of earning his or her favor. That doesn’t go over well with colleagues who are trying to make it on merit,” says Travis Bradberry on Entrepreneur. You will lose the respect of your peers and potentially even your boss, as well.
3. Sticking with the status quo: You have to be ready and willing to change if you want career success, especially in marketing, where things seemingly change every day. Being complacent and sticking with a “this is how we have always done things in the past” approach will not get you far.
Learn more from our Toronto recruiters about how to achieve marketing career success by reading these insightful blog posts about marketing careers:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm with offices in Toronto and Vancouver. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.