To get into the Halloween spirit this year, we thought we would put together a list of scary career mistakes that could not only hurt your credibility, but also hurt your chances of landing that dream job or taking your career to the next level – you know, the mistakes that can make you turn as white as a ghost and regret them for years to come – like not going trick or treating that one last time!
5 Scary Career Mistakes That’ll Haunt Your Dreams
No one wants to have regrets. Here are some ghoulish career mistakes that will haunt you for years to come:
1. Not negotiating employment terms: An offer of employment is not a final offer. Too many people, excited to get a job offer, accept employment terms as is. If you do this, you could be leaving money on the table, among other benefits and perks.
2. Setting low expectations: What do you want to do with your career? You have the power to set your expectations, and if you set them too low, you could end up falling short of your potential. Remember, if you have set your expectations too low, you can always adjust them.
3. Not doing something you enjoy: It’s not always about the money. Job satisfaction is extremely important. No one wants to go into work every day loathing their current situation. Choose a career path where you can enjoy the best of both worlds.
4. Burning bridges: Networking is one of the most important, and also overlooked, aspects of your career. When you burn a bridge, you are losing out on potential future networking opportunities, references, and even job opportunities.
5. Not helping others along the way: Being selfless by offering to help others along the way is not only a great thing to do, it can also be beneficial. You never know when you might find yourself in a difficult situation and could use some help. Those whom you’ve helped in the past could turn out to be the helping hand you need.
Read more about career mistakes by checking out the following posts:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.