If we were to tell you young professionals move around from job to job more frequently, it likely doesn’t come as much of a surprise.
Today’s generation of new professionals are less likely to stick around, they have shorter attention spans, and are always on the lookout for the next big thing. The reason why this is occurring is surprising and can provide many companies with important insight into this generation of professionals.
Rachel King from Fortune summarizes the results of a recent LinkedIn survey:
“Employees aged 24 and younger are three times more likely than Baby Boomers to change jobs, with 20% of them averaging four or more full-time jobs within a few short years compared to an average of two jobs over the course of a decade for Baby Boomers.”
Again, probably not too surprising. The one thing that is surprising is the reason why young professionals are so eager and willing to make career moves.
Why Young Professionals Move Jobs More Frequently
While money is always a motivating factor, it’s not the top reason why young professionals are making moves.
- Stronger relationships: Young professionals want to build strong relationships with their colleagues.
- Advancement opportunities: Many Generation Z’ers are focused on taking steps to advance their career. They are less likely to wait for things to happen. They are making them happen for themselves.
- Culture: Company culture is important to the younger generation. They want to work for a company that offers a diverse and enticing work environment.
The LinkedIn survey provides an important glimpse into what Generation Z values:
- 80% of professionals under the age of 24 said they would consider a career change. They would entertain a complete role change, and they would even consider taking on a role in a new industry.
- 45% of professionals under the age of 24 say that their work relationships are the main reason for them staying in their current job.
- 65% of those employees under 24 are actively seeking out tips and advice about ways to advance their career.
- Half of the professionals under 24 said they are open to relocating for a better job opportunity.
More Blogs About the Impact of Young Professionals
Get more insights into what young professionals value by reading these blog posts:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Technology (IT), Accounting and Finance, Consumer Goods, eCommerce and Retail, Financial Services and Insurance, Startup, Cannabis, Big Data, B2B and Industrial, Operations and HR, Professional Services and Legal, Media, Digital and Marketing, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, Emerging Technology and Telecom, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.