Self-doubt is something that many of us feel from time to time. It can particularly rear its ugly head when things don’t exactly go as planned. Maybe you didn’t get the promotion you were up for, or you are having a longer time finding a job in finance. Perhaps you are starting to question your career path, or you are starting to wonder if now is the time to make a career move. Or maybe you’ve just started a new job and you are worried that you may have made a mistake or are feeling overwhelmed.
Self-doubt happens to the best of us and at all levels – CEOs, managers, and finance professionals alike. The key to overcoming it, and understanding how to address it, is to not let it consume us. Here are some great tips to try the next time doubt creeps into your mind:
1. It’s not just you: Everyone doubts themselves. Simply knowing that it’s not just you and that others experience the same feelings will help you cope with self-doubt more effectively.
2. Talk with a mentor: We all go through periods of doubt, and one of the best ways of breaking out of your funk is to talk to a trusted advisor, mentor, or even a trusted co-worker. Simply talking about how you feel and getting some outside advice can help you put things in perspective and stop doubting yourself.
3. Take a step toward bettering yourself: When feeling down, why not take it as an opportunity to do something about it by looking for ways to improve? Often the action of signing up for a training course, picking up a new book, or signing up for a seminar will help you refocus.
4. Take a break: Doubting yourself could also be a sign that you need to take some time to step back and reflect. If possible, take a day or two to break out of your mental slump and get refocused. Take some ‘me time.’
5. Think about the end result: Doubting your abilities is common when things aren’t going your way. The key to breaking out is to focus on the end result. Sure, you may have a number of missteps throughout your journey, but as long as you are headed in the right direction, things will be okay.
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us: https://www.iqpartners.com/current-opportunities/
Matthew knows that preparation breeds success, which is why finding employees who fit perfectly with a company’s goals and culture is the largest contributor to a company’s long term success. After spending 5 years working in executive search within the Financial Services & Insurance industries, Matthew dedicated himself to leading Canada's top entrepreneur focused recruitment team.