By Bruce Powell, Founder & Executive Recruiter
Once you hire top talent that doesn’t mean you have them for good or even for the long term. Gone are the days where employees choose a career path and stay with a company for 25 years. We know this. However, what many companies don’t realize is just how many people are open to making a career move.
A recent study found that 76% of full time employees are ACTIVELY looking or open to new career opportunities. That is 3 out of 4 people who work for your company! This is a trend that organizations need to pay attention to, or you could come into the office one morning and be blindsided with a letter of resignation or two.
This emerging trend of employees being more willing to jump ship has also been confirmed by another study that found more than one-third of Canadian employees are seriously considering leaving their current organization. What is even more troubling for organizations is that senior management is more than twice as likely to consider making the jump.
Why Are People Willing to Make a Career Move?
There are four main reasons why people are so willing to make a career move at present, and none of them come as a big surprise:
1. More money – no surprise here!
2. Better work-life balance
3. Career advancement opportunities
4. Improved benefits
What Can Organizations Do?
- Understand the new reality of careers: Employers need to have a better understanding of what drives employee satisfaction so you are not just hiring people for the short term. The new reality of careers is that people are willing to make career moves more often. They are less patient and are always looking to take the next step. Give them a reason to stay.
- Invest more into organizational culture: Pay closer attention to the things that drive a strong organizational culture and one that attracts top talent. Offer work-life balance, provide advancement opportunities and offer employees attractive benefits packages.
- Always be recruiting: People are going to come and go. But rather than trying to scramble around to fill a void when someone leaves the organization, if you are always recruiting and have your eye on top industry talent, you will be better equipped and more prepared to deal with the loss of a key employee.
Talk with our Toronto recruiters today about how you can improve your hiring and retention rates. Learn more by checking out these headhunter insights from our blog:
5 Easy to Implement Recruitment and Retention Strategies
5 Types of Employees Who Can Ruin Your Company Culture and Kill Morale
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm with offices in Toronto and Vancouver. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.