By Adrian Robinson, Toronto Marketing Recruiter
One of the key things people look for in a career is job stability. They want a job they can rely on, but the reality of today’s work environment has turned this concept on its head – especially in the marketing industry. In fact, some would argue that staying in the same job for too long can actually hurt your career.
It could be argued that staying in the same job creates complacency. There isn’t a need to grow and learn new skills – something that is vital in an ever-changing marketing landscape.
“It used to be that working for one employer for twenty or twenty-five years marked you as a stable and reliable employee – a person anyone would be happy to hire if you should be so unfortunate as to get laid off. Now it’s just the opposite. Employers are wary of hiring people who’ve worked in one job for ten years or more. They don’t think, “This person showed their loyalty by sticking with one employer for so long.” They think, “This person hasn’t learned anything new in years!” says Liz Ryan on Forbes.
10 Ways Staying in a Job Too Long Can Hurt Your Career
Staying in the same job with the same company for an extended period of time can potentially hurt your marketing career development in a number of ways:
1. You limit your number of professional contacts
2. Your resume may have limited work experience
3. You fail to keep up with the recruiting and job search market – and best practices
4. You risk falling behind on the current industry trends
5. You fail to continuously develop new skills
6. You get tunnel vision – and focus more on day-to-day tasks rather than career development
7. You can lose confidence in your ability to compete with other marketing professionals
8. You risk becoming complacent and content with what you have achieved
9. You become more likely to settle for less
10. Career growth comes to a halt
How long have you been in your current position? Longer than you would have liked? How much has your career evolved during this time? If you are stuck at a standstill, then perhaps it’s time to start considering a change – sometimes change is good for change’s sake.
Take the first step to learn more about how to grow your marketing career by reading:
How to Market Yourself as a Top Marketing Candidate
3 Marketing Career Tips from a Headhunter
Outlining the Ever Changing Landscape of Marketing Careers
3 Things That Will Grind Your Marketing Career to a Halt
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.