Diversity matters. It has a greater impact on business than many realize. Our executive search team in Toronto talks about why it’s important to have diversity and ways you can diversify your team:
Why Is It Important To Have A Diverse Team?
Having a diverse team, regardless of your industry or function within the organization can bring about many key business advantages. Here are some of the reasons to have a more diverse team:
- Creativity: Different people come up with different ideas. Collaboration allows you to combine ideas to create more creative outcomes.
- Innovation: You can leverage the skills, experience, and knowledge of your team to create unique solutions.
- Different perspectives: Individuals from different cultures and backgrounds approach doing things from a different perspective. The more perspectives you consider, the better the quality of decisions you make.
- Attracting new employees: Diversity is a selling point when recruiting new talent. You can create a larger and more inclusive talent pool.
- Better business decision-making: A diverse team is more well-rounded. This enables leaders to take in more information and make better quality decisions and better results
How To Diversify Your Team?
We know diversity is important and it can have a significant impact on business results. The question is, how do we diversify our team? When do we do it and how can we do it in a way to make our organization better?
You can think of diversity from multiple perspectives: culture, gender, experience, industry, skills, and age. But what you really need to do first is take a step back and look at your team as it currently exists.
- How diverse is your team?
- What diversity gaps exist?
- What skills and experience could you benefit from adding to your team?
- Where are your shortcomings?
Understanding your team as it currently exists is a starting point. Then you can start to make your team more diverse based on the areas you have identified need to be improved. Here are some things you can do:
- Identify bias in your hiring and recruiting process
- Work with an executive recruiter to refine your hiring process
- Look for talent in different areas – use different platforms
- Look for diverse talent – change your qualification and skill requirements
- Build diversity into your core messaging
- Make diversity part of your company identity
- Offer greater flexibility and a work environment that is welcoming for all people
- Always look for ways to be more inclusive
No company is perfectly diverse. But when you prioritize it, your company can evolve into a more diverse and inclusive organization.
Learn More About How To Diversify From Executive Search Team
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Executive Search / Board & C-Suite, Technology, Media, Digital & Marketing, Accounting & Finance, Financial Services & Insurance, Cannabis, Startup, Data Science, Consumer, eCommerce & Retail, Operations & HR, Manufacturing, Supply Chain & Engineering, Legal & Professional Services, Pharmaceutical & Life Sciences, Non-Profit & Sustainability, and Sales. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.