By Bruce Powell, Founder & Executive Recruiter
Data is taking over. We all know those working in analytics are in demand, but having data skills is no longer a requirement for only those who enjoy working with numbers. Data now goes beyond the analytics and IT departments.
To some degree, all professionals need to have data skills today. Data is used, analyzed, and consumed by people at all levels of your organization. Decisions are increasingly being made using data sets, and a company’s ability to use data, at all levels, can be a key difference maker.
In other words – the importance of data skills has never been more important. All professionals need, at the very minimum, a basic understanding of how to read, use, and interpret data.
Why You Need Data Skills
Data skills are no longer simply nice to have. More and more, they are required by hiring companies. The rise of the internet of things, artificial intelligence, and automation is reshaping how we do things.
Companies of all sizes across all industries now use systems and processes that require employees to input, use, and interpret data. Without data skills, employees and companies risk losing a competitive edge over other organizations and professionals who have the skills to use data to their advantage.
You need data skills because:
- Data will continue to play a more prominent role
- Data will only become a more integrated part of how companies make decisions
- Technology will continue to change how we do things
- Companies expect and require you to have data skills
How to Acquire Data Skills
Don’t have data skills? Not sure where to start? You’re not alone. Fortunately, there are a number of effective ways you can develop data skills:
- Look into how data can and will impact your job
- Speak with your boss about company resources to acquire data skills
- Take a basic data analytics or statistics course
- Gain familiarity with the software programs and data tools used in your industry
- Familiarize yourself with the types of data used in your industry
- Use the data available to you to assist in the strategic decision making process
- Consider certification that is applicable to your role
More About the Importance of Data Skills
Gain more great insights into the importance of developing data skills by reading these blog posts:
Data Intelligence Is the New “Gut Instinct” in Talent Acquisition
4 Tech Skills All Candidates Need on Their Resumes
Skills Shortage – Skills Organizations Need the Most from Employees
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Technology (IT), Accounting and Finance, Consumer Goods, eCommerce and Retail, Financial Services and Insurance, Startup, Cannabis, Big Data, B2B and Industrial, Operations and HR, Professional Services and Legal, Media, Digital and Marketing, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, Emerging Technology and Telecom, and Sales. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.