So, you want to improve your career. Most marketers and professionals in the marketing field want to, as well – meaning that you potentially face stiff competition at each step in your career. However, there are others who want more than just a great title; they want to have an impact on business.
One thing that prevents marketers from reaching their full potential is that many believe they have minimal business impact. Why is this the case? Marketing has a huge impact on the success of organizations. Patrick Barwise, Emeritus Professor of Management and Marketing at the London Business School, recently examined this question on the econsultancy.com blog.
Barriers for Marketers to Overcome
Barwise identified three main gaps or reasons why marketers are believed to have little business impact today:
1. Trust: The focal point of marketing campaigns is about the future – which may or may not work out, causing skepticism. Therefore, marketers will always be trusted less than those in finance and other areas that report and work based on real-time performance and results.
2. Power: Marketers don’t inherently have power. Before marketers can gain power, they need to earn the trust and support of their internal business partners.
3. Skills: Marketing continues to change at a blistering pace. With things changing so quickly, it’s virtually impossible to be an expert in all thing marketing, creating specializations within marketing.
Marketers Need to Take the Lead and Establish Business Influence
To overcome these inherent barriers, Barwise suggests that marketers need to do the following to improve influence and have a greater impact internally:
- Marketers must find the balance between company and customer needs
- Get others on board with your initiatives
- Build a marketing team that will help you have a great business impact by filling skill gaps when hiring and assembling your team
- Don’t just be a marketing manager, be an organization leader and inspire others
If you want to have a greater business impact, regardless of your marketing role, you need to start thinking about things from a more holistic perspective and understand how your campaigns impact marketing and business as a whole.
More About Marketing Careers
Get more marketing career tips and advice from our marketing recruiters in Toronto. Check out these great blog posts:
IQ PARTNERS is an Executive Search & Recruitment firm supporting clients across the country. We help companies hire better, hire less & retain more. We have specialist teams of recruiters in Financial Services & Insurance, Marketing Communications & Media, Emerging Tech & Telecom, Consumer Goods & Retail, B2B & Industrial, Technology, Accounting & Finance, HR & Operations and Mining & Engineering. IQ PARTNERS has its head office in Toronto and operates internationally via Aravati Global Search Network. Click here to view current job openings and to register with us.